Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Oh Hi Oh!!

Van Wert Ohio. Fried Chicken and Arnold Stang. What could be better? The best Fried Chicken I have had in 9 years. (The best is still somewhere on the road to Chelsea Vermont). Served by a very small and charming man who looked and spoke exactly like Arnold Stang. (I had the pleasure of working with Mr. Stang in the early 80's on a Dow Scrubbing Bubbles commercial.) This guy was his doppleganger. We skipped the awesome pie, which I regret profoundly. By far Balyeats was the best road food discovery on the Lincoln Highway. In continuous business since the 20's, it is worth the pilgrimage. The chicken was moist, not greasy, the crispy skin was crunchy and flavorful. Julie and I split one order. We weren't stuffed, but profoundly satisfied. I'll reveal where we enjoyed this road picnic in the next entry. The other bonus in Van Wert-next to the restaurant a second empire court house not to be believed. Just plain gloriousness all around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy,
I'm loving the Arnold Stang guy!!
For more Stang: http://flickr.com/photos/gables/sets/72157594587107791/

XO Carol

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm envious of your road trip. I haven't had a classic road trip since....jeez....1982. Of course we took our photos with every "giant" roadside attraction. I still cherish my photo with the giant prarie dog.