Saturday, June 21, 2008

Invasion of the POD PEOPLE


Well. This is it. I have packed up 23 years of possessions, and they fit in three pods. To think that in 1985 I moved out here with a suitcase. My dad UPS'd me three boxes, including a little TV, and that was all I owned in the world. My stuff has multiplied. It will travel across the US on its' own journey, and I will travel once again with my bud Julie. We plan on roughly following The Lincoln Highway. Interstate 80 parallels it, so we will go in and out of the "old road" I suspect. I think we will get to Saratoga on Saturday or Sunday June 29.
What is the Lincoln Highway you ask? Starting in Times Square, the Highway ends in San Francisco, and was promoted in 1913 as "America's Main Street." Of course, I want to travel it to see old houses, gas stations, diners, bridges, hotels, and signage. I will write m
ore about the history of the Lincoln Highway, and hopefully take photos of some Lincoln Inspired landmarks.
Today is all about saying goodbye to good friends, and trying to not cry too much. My beloved dog Emily is not well enough to travel. It is quite a dilemma actually because she still is functioning well and to put her down is clearly not the right choice either. Mikey, my buddy and future tenant, (as of tomorrow) will care
for her until she passes. I don't know if that is two days, or two weeks, but I know she is in loving hands. I can't write too much more about this or my tears will surely ruin my computer. This agonizing decision was not an easy one. She is pretty blind and has an inoperable tumor so the idea of her making the trip was bordering on cruel. I just want her to be comfortable and loved, and I think this is the best solution. I am not looking forward to saying my goodbyes to her tomorrow. She came into my life 9 years ago today, She has never been an affectionate or friendly dog. I always joke that she is like Greta Garbo and "vants to be alone." I do know that she and I have a special bond, and I truly love her like no one else could. Mikey comes close, in spite of how he jokes that she hates him. I have caught him giving her random kisses on the head. I know this is the best possible outcome - although my heart is so heavy.
I will post from Stockton California, tomorrow night when some of this drama has passed.

14 comments:

bennettmarks said...

Juddles - Even though I'm in Prague, I'll be following your every twist and turn. -Bucky

Tommys Mom said...

Judy and Julie

Bon Voyage, safe journey and have lots of fun. I am sad for me as I am losing a good friend and the West coast is losing a good soul (and we can use all of those we can get!) but I am excited for you to be starting on another chapter of your life. - Karen

aine said...

judes - I am sending my heart to ms. emily and mike for his loving care..... and peace to you and julie as you cross the states to HOME..... enjoy all the moments that will stay with you forever.
xo
debs

Anonymous said...

Have a safe & wonderful adventure-i am looking forward to all the funny details!
patty

Stacey Altman said...

Hi gals. Have a fun adventure and be safe.

Jude - I had such a good time with you last week. Even though we haven't spend much time together over the last several years, we so easily pick up where we left off.

I will probably speak to you more now that you are moving away so I look forward to that.

You are a brave soul and have always been an inspiration for me. You follow your heart and your heart is leading you to a new beginning and I am so happy for you.

Looking forward to more blogging...

Big hug,
Schtay

Anonymous said...

Judy...good luck on your travels..I am getting hungry thinking about all the road food you will enjoy...Any chance you'll be passing near NYC..would love to see you!

Anonymous said...

Judes-
I remember when you moved out to LA and lived in that apt. on 4th Street (?) with no A/C. I followed out a year later. Wow! The older we get the faster time flies. Wishing you a safe and wonderful trip -
xoxo
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hey Jude,
You made me cry...(not to hard to do)I have been thinking about you all weekend. I am so happy that Mikey the angel is taking care of your baby...I can't wait for you to be back in NY..
Be careful.
Love,
Dana

TinseltownGal said...

Judy, your blog is my first to read (hard to believe) and it is great fun. I'm so sorry that you had to leave Emily, but you totally made the right decision. Her space is comfortable for her and home, after all -- and Mike's secret head kisses will keep her happy. What a great travel adventure awaits you on 80. I'm green with envy. Suzan misses you already.

Eda

Anonymous said...

Judes -
Wow, what a lot to handle with everything else one handles while making such a HUGE move. But as you know, Emily couldn't be in better hands and will be happiest in the world she knows. Enjoy your journey - looking forward to the photos and tales of the road.

Anonymous said...

Judy, sorry that I missed your leaving. Have a fine trip, I envy you the Hudson River.

Anonymous said...

Hi gals. Wow, Judy. Though I need to get caught up on the details of this move -- I am sending sweet thoughts for your happy travels and a peaceful head and heart re: Emily and all that lies ahead in NY. It looks like you'll be passing through the Southern Suburbs of Chicago which is about an hour or so from my place in Wilmette (Northern suburbs), but will happily drive down to meet you if we can arrange a rendevous point. Email (kareerw@aol.com) or call me 847-971-8810. xo Karee

Anonymous said...

hey judy
we're thinking of you with much love, and sending thoughts to emily. i know we never saw each other but you will be truly missed. go figure. sam and his girls. xxx

Unknown said...

Hey Judy...
go girl go..or i should say go girls go..unlike all your dear friends on the west coast who I know are devestated I am delighted that you are headng east ..It will be such fun to have you here..have a safe trip and will be following you and wishing I was along ...
xxxxKerrie
I am so sorrry about Emily but for sure you have made the right decision..