Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Wyoming Nebraska Haul



My friend Paul's earliest childhood memories are of driving across the U.S. with his family in 1965 and visiting the World's Fair in New York. He vividly recalled stopping in Little America somewhere in Wyoming. Based on that information, I had to pay homage to Paul's memory. Well. I can say one thing; the carpet is the same one from Paul's memory. Little America was an oasis of banality. That is all I can say. We spent the day zooming across Wyoming and stopped in Laramie for a really good lunch and fruitless quest looking for the Ames Brothers monument designed by HH Richardson and Augustus Saint Gaudens. I hope this will suffice...I did manage to have an A & W rootbeer float. That sort of assuaged my sadness over missing the monument. The A & W is also near the largest statue of Mary in the US. She oversees the dispensing of fried cheese curds which I have yet to try. I wonder if Mary communicates with Mr. Lincoln who is a few miles away from her on interstate 80. He is sort of scary and imposing looking from the Freeway. I always have thought of him as benevolent and kind but this sort of changed my opinion. Maybe he is ticked off that the Lincoln Highway has been replaced by I-80 here in Wyoming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I was at Little America in the early 70s too! Thanks for checking in on the banality.

Spotted any jackalopes yet?

Paul