Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lincoln Nebraska, and on to Iowa

Well. I was so sad about Miss Emily. I knew it was inevitable but I was still so sad. That combined with bad internet luck curtailed my blogging. But, I have time now to share some cool stuff.
I actually got to see one of the buildings that I studied in undergrad and graduate school. The State Capital Building in Lincoln, Nebraska. What a majestic, impressive building. In my lexicon, I put it in the Daily Planet School of Architecture. Sort of Gothic Intimidation meets Depression Modern.
I LOVE THIS BUILDING. I also love the Los Angeles Public Library Building which was designed by the same architect: Bertram Goodhue. He designed some buildings in Balboa Park for the 1915 Pan Pacific Exhibition (beating out my favorite architect of all time Irving Gill.) He even did the master plan for Cal Tech in California. Julie and I were driving down Goodhue Blvd. in Lincoln, and lo and behold we saw this vision.
This was the tallest thing on the prairie for miles. I think that was the point. Can't you just imagine Jimmy Olsen running out the door to catch the latest scoop?

We spent the night outside of Des Moines. The next day I was determined to have some Lincoln Highway experiences and dragged Julie to Ames, Iowa to see the Campus of Iowa State,(Sorry Jan), and try a butter burger at Culvers, a mid-western chain. I am compelled to say..Butterburgers are AS GOOD AS IN and OUT BURGERS. Heresy. I know. They have irregular edges, a square shap
e, and taste really really good. I ordered a double and gave Chumley one patty. He concurred.
We schlepped to Tama, Iowa to see the Ultimate Lincoln Highway relic, and boy was I happy!! Chumley not so much. He really hates being in the car and even though he was on doggie downers he was still stressing. I think that this trip can't be over soon enough for him.

We managed to stay on the Lincoln highway for another 30 miles or so and then in order to avoid Chicago we ditched route 30 and found an alternate two lane road through Illinois and Indiana. More later.

1 comment:

dmavidreader said...

Ames Iowa is home to IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY. UNIVERSITY OF IOWA is in Iowa City.