Sunday, February 15, 2009

Demopolis, Alabama -Last Jew Standing

I spent some time in the Jewish Cemetery in Demopolis. No Newhouses to be found. I guess they assimilated early and often. We didn't have time to go through the big city burial ground. The architecture in Demopolis ranges from plantation houses fit for the Tarleton twins to picturebook Carpenter Gothic cottages. Of course most interesting to me is the one building that is not there anymore. Like Selma, the Jewish community in Demopolis started about 1844 with an influx of Jews from Germany. The community prospered and built a Moorish Revival synagogue that looks pretty quirky. This photo was given to me by a lady at the book store of Bluff Hall.
The synagogue was built in1893 and torn down in 1959.The building that remains a
s Bnai Jeshurun was given to the Episcopal Church a few years ago. It now serves as a food pantry. It is a unremarkable brick structure.
There are tw
o Jews left in Demopolis. Their family owned the furniture store which was founded in 1895. The Rosenbushes are now quite old and when they go, that is it for the Jewish community in Demopolis. If this subject interests you, you can read more about it on the Institute for Southern Jewish Life webpage.
There was one house that I saw in Demopolis that I couldn't get any information on. It had a remarkably elaborate stained glass window in the front and looked like a Greek Revival transistioning to a Victorian !
The window was reminiscent of John
LaFarge. I could only do two drivebys so I didn't get as close as I wanted to. If anyone finds ANYTHING out about this house, I would love to know more. I am thinking about sending photos to the Demopolis Chamber of Commerce or the Mayor's office to see if they can tell me more. I will post updates I promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judes-
Loved reading the info in the link about Southern Jews. I give the guy Rosenbush credit for sticking around - he could have ended up in Boca like the others. You must have the worst stomach ache after eating that delicious food. Try your cold pillow treatment if it doesn't get better. Hope to see you soon, - safe travels
Donna

Anonymous said...

De-mopolis: Is the de- prefix like demobilize, defrock, detach? (meaning "un" - no longer a city)
DON in Albany

Anonymous said...

Its "demo", like people, as in democracy. Its a city of the people...