Thursday, February 5, 2009

Georgia on my plate.

Before I begin this blog entry, let me just say: food photographed by non professionals always looks gross. Trust me, if you don't have a stylist, gylcerine, good lighting, and lots of time it looks like it has already been eaten. That will not stop me from whipping out my trusty Nikon every time I eat an interesting morsel.
Julie and I carbo loaded between breakfast and lunch. When Michael Stern (from Road Food) casually throws around the phrase best biscuit in the South you have to be one callous foodie to keep driving. So we stopped: Julie had biscuits in brown gravy, I had grits, and biscuits with butter. Her brown gravy was so lard loaded it tasted fried. It reminded me of Zepole at the San Gennaro Festival. The biscuits were de-vine, light, creamy (the lard) melty, and just delish. Worth the stop. A mere 45 minutes later we pulled into Melear's Barbeque. Almost nauseated to the unfathomable state of non hunger by the life size cut out of GW Bush, I gathered my wits about me and ordered the non-endless pork plate. (I watched a group of phone installers get countless plate refills while I was there.) The shredded pork was frankly dry and unremarkable. The thing that made it palatable was the vinegary barbeque sauce. What I really liked was the Brunswick Stew. OH YUM. Tomato based with a distinct corn flavor and probably day old shredded pork, it really was incredibly tasty. Luckily it did not contain squirrel or rabbit which around here is good eatin' and often is included in Brunswick Stew. The pickled onions and cole slaw were good and the toasted wonder bread was handy for getting up the last bit of the Brunswick Stew. Tomorrow, I will stop gorging and look for some interesting architecture in Demopolis, Alabama, birthplace of the late great Sadie Newhouse Fink, the Miss Daisy of my extended family. A Jew in Alabama in the 1920's can you imagine? I can. Cottilions where they danced the hora. OY.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lard RULES. As does Brunswick Stew. And there are many Jews in Birmingham, FYI. Cotton = schmattes. Enuf said.

Anonymous said...

Biscuits in brown gravy and shredded pork? How many points are they on the Weight Watchers plan?

Unknown said...

Non-endless pork plate? pork plate? non-endless? What comes next, Baal worship?

Scouter said...

God Bless the Sterns. Road Food rules. Wish I was with you (yeah, like I'd actually eat more than a bite of everything ... more likely to hang with the Chumster in the hatch).