Sunday, September 9, 2007

Cheyenne Thoughts


Friday September 7, Cheyenne Wyoming
O.K. Can we talk about Cheyenne? What a delightful sweet city. I almost drove off the road when I saw this house. It defies description. A crenelated prairie fantasy. A physical embodiment of the axiom that money can't buy taste. Can't you just hear the architect pitching the design? "I know you are a fan of Robin Hood and Walter Burley Griffin, I t
hink we can combine the two here." It dates from the twenties I think, totally out of sync with the post war GI housing that surrounds it. I would love to the know the history. Now in contrast to this architectural acid trip, the state house is lovely, Maybe not as sublime as the Nebraska State House, but it holds it's own. Built in 1886. Just the right amount of Beaux Arts Glory. Not too pretentious, it sits on a slight hill overlooking the city.
The interior is gorgeous too. Especially the sky light.
OK heading out to South Dakota....Custer here we come. (Chumley loved the State House lawn.)

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hey Judy-
Just love the architecture lesson I am getting by reading your blog. I just might book a trip out west - you make it sound so amazing. I do have a cowboy hat and a pair of kick ass boots - but it would be more like City Slickers 3. Safe travels-
xoxo
Donna

aine said...

Hi Gals --
A beautiful, early fall afternoon
in store for you if you've finally
crossed the NY State border.
Happy Day for Chumley.
xo
Debs