Thursday, September 20, 2007

Oh so Wright!


Buffalo, New York
Initially the jaunt across the country was going to be all about Frank Lloyd Wright and Prairie Architecture. Well, Spring Green got waylaid, and before I knew it I was in Buffalo, New York and Lo and Behold, one of FLW's most notable prairie houses stretched before me. The house is undergoing a huge restoration. There must be some deep deep pockets in Buffalo. There were three separate work crews while we were there. The stables and pergola have been totally rebuilt. Beautifully I might add. The bricks were located in Ohio, to replicate the original horizontally oriented bricks used in the construction. Underneath the veneer of horizontal "prairie style roman" bricks I spied some conventional bricks forming the foundation of the corner columns. OH FRANK so sneaky!!! Only the readers of this blog need to know....This complex is extensive. there was a home for client's sister, a gardener's cottage, stables/carriage house, greenhouse, and a beautiful pergola-covered walkway. Our decent docent told us that there was no set budget for the house, (which Wright would have blown anyway) and Mr. Martin gave FLW free reign. It shows in the layout, the leaded glass, the HUGE kitchen (for Wright) and what I imagine would have been extraordinary gardens. Martin's story is classic...orphan rises up in corporate America builds home complex to house EXTENDED family. You don't have to be Freud to figure that one out. Once again, seeing the restoration in progress thrilled me. I have an aversion to things totally gussied up I guess. The pergola and carriage complex are almost too perfect. But..I also noticed many similarities to the Hollyhock house. The use of gold in the interior, the pergola, the library and living room layout, even the decorative cement elements. I am starting to think that Wright had a syntax that he drew upon at will and mixed and matched. Hmm...heresy. I hope my friend Rod Grant doesn't read this blog, he will dress me down. I urge you to visit this amazing house. Here is the official website. I think it will be even better in about two years.


3 comments:

Kelley said...

Buffalo huh? You were very close to me you know!
Kelley

Stuart Lipson said...

Are you done?

Should I stop checking on this stage of your adventure?

It has been very entertaining and even educational!

Stuart

Anonymous said...

Nice photo, you gotta love the blue tarp. FLW was a creative genius, but the one universal truth about his buildings is that those that have not fallen down are either in the process of falling down, or very expensive renovations. I recall how the guide at Spring Green spun this "You know," she explained, "FLW never expected any of his buildings to last more than 40 years, since the people he built them for wouldn't lvie any longer than that."

There may be more of a connection with world fair houses than you think!

Steve in Mpls